Friday, May 19, 2006

Almost over....



So...I think this is the first time I have ever said this, but...thank God school is almost over for the year...YEAH!!!!! I am at the point that I am soooo tired of getting up at 6:00am to get bitched at by kids that just don't want to wake up....lol...My son, Douglas, his last day was Wednesday...he will graduate from 8th grade tonite at 6:00pm...he had his graduation trip yesterday...they went to Universal Studios for the day..he got home at 11 last nite...he had such a good time..and I'm sooo glad he is done with that school...I have said before that the school he goes to is a major pain in my ass...really...but the education he received was so worth everything I went thru with him...That was the most important thing of all...his education..not his happiness, or liking his teachers...lol...hell, I didn't like most of them either, but that's not what school is all about...I do know that it DOES help if they like the teacher, but Doug likes to learn...so, he's one of those kids who just does the work...even without a teacher, he would still learn on his own, because the work challenges him, and he likes that aspect...So, even not liking the teachers, he did well...and I am proud of him...so the trip was pretty much his reward for doing such a great job the last three years...but on that note, he moves on to HIGH SCHOOL!! (Which makes me feel even older than I am..lol..but it happens...) Anyways, he's really looking forward to starting the culinary program at his new school...as am I....
Tonite, my smoker child..aka Stephanie...well she starts a two day program with the sheriff's office..the CAT Program, it's called..stands for Collision Avoidance Training. It's offered to new drivers 16-17 yrs old...it supposed to teach them to try not to panic in different crash scenes...Tonite it starts with four hours of in class teaching....videos about different car accidents involving teen drivers...then saturday morning, 8 a.m. they start eight hours of intense driving at the local airport....They will have hands on learning with an instructor in each kids vehicle. This is what the gist of the program is...

Five basic skills, actions and/or techniques of driving are identified as areas that teens need experience or training to safely operate a motor vehicle. Steering, acceleration, deceleration, backing and skid control/skid recovery are the tasks addressed in this program. Training exercises used in this program have been adopted from the law enforcement-training manual and approved by the Criminal Justice Standards and Training Commission. Student drivers must complete the following exercises:

Evasive maneuvers
Threshold/emergency braking
Forward serpentine Cornering
Backing
Skid recovery
All classes are conducted under the direct supervision of certified high liability driving instructors. Instructors ride with each student and students move to the next exercise only after the instructor feels the student has demonstrated a reasonable degree of skill. The Collision Avoidance Training program has proven to be one of the most effective programs at reaching teens, modifying their attitudes and creating all around better teenage drivers. PHS (Partners of Highway Safety) has preached for many years that the leading cause of teenage crashes is inexperience.

So...that's what she will be doing tomorrow...and hopefully, she will learn some good stuff, without wrecking her car in the process..LOL...each teen will use their own vehicles..had to provide notorized copies of license, registration and insurance..lol...too cool...they didn't have anything like that when I was 16, that's for sure...
As for Elizabeth...well..she's only ten..and still in elementary school..so there is nothing big and exciting happening for her...other than the fact its summer vacation and she is just ready to start going to her grandma's for the summer..video games, pool...tv...what more can a 10 yr old ask for??...lol...
And so....that's about all....Take care....drive safe...and have a great weekend..don't forget...it's Motorcycle Awareness Month...so keep those eyes peeled for the bikes...don't take someone out...take care to notice your surroundings...
:)Just me
smart ass remarks

3 smart ass remarks

smart ass remarks Blogger mgc

does this program cost you? i wish my daughter would have been able to take something like this. it may have saved me from paying for 2 speeding tickets and an accident. fucking insurance companies. she cost me almost $3000 a yr.

congrats on kids making the grade. i only have to get one more thru school (4 more yrs) and i am finished. this one will never drive, she can't walk without running into something!

19 May, 2006 12:37  
smart ass remarks Blogger Kirsten

ahhh...yeah, I guess I left the cost part out, huh?...actually, the sheriffs office does this FOR FREE!! Can u imagine??? Thats so awesome that they do that, ya know? And I hear ya...I'm not ready for that speeding ticket/accident shit w/ her...as soon as she got her license I signed her up...this was the first class that wasn't booked fully..all the rest had already filled up...so, yeah, it's a great thing..your clutzy daughter sounds like my Libby...lol...its great, isn't it?
Take care
:)Just me

19 May, 2006 12:57  
smart ass remarks Blogger Bri

K Kirsten, be proud of me...I FINALLY posted! Nothing interesting, but it's somethin!

23 May, 2006 01:05  

Post a Comment

<< Home